Thursday, August 29, 2013

Maestro Sandor Salgo, August, 1969

Maestro Sandor Salgo working with the Bach Festival orchestra on August 15, 1969.  Salgo was asked to conduct the Israeli symphony but politely declined saying, "I came here to be an American." From 1949-1973 Sandor Salgo taught and conducted the music and opera programs at Stanford University. Sandor and Priscilla Salgo began directing the Carmel Bach festival in 1956 and turned it into an internationally acclaimed festival. When he was in his nineties, Mr. Salgo wrote the book Thomas Jefferson: Musician and Violinist about the musical life of Thomas Jefferson. (Monterey County Herald archives)


2 comments:

  1. My mother, Susan "Dockie" Lewis is the woman in the shawl. I love this photograph, thank you for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to see if Dockie would like to contact me at: dmurphy139@gmail.com. Please inquire, if you are in touch with her.

      Delete