Sunday, March 17, 2013

CHOMP Groundbreaking, circa 1959

Admiral Raymond Spruance (seated), Dr. Arnold Manor, Samuel FB Morse, administrator Tom Tonkin, Carl Daniels and William F. House at a ground breaking ceremony for construction of the Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula, circa 1959. The hospital was originally a 30-bed general hospital named Peninsula Community Hospital. In the 1950s, descendants of telegraph inventor Samuel F.B. Morse donated 22 acres to the hospital for expansion. In 1961, the hospital received its current name. On June 28, 1962, a new building opened adjacent to the town of Pebble Beach, designed by architect Edward Durell Stone.  (Monterey County Herald Archives)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment